Cardinal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Food & Eating

3 posters

Go down

Food & Eating Empty Food & Eating

Post  Steve Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:27 am

I recently stopped eating at the low tier fast food places.
Mostly because I realized that if I was paid $6 an hour to cook meals for strangers, my life would be too depressing to really give a shit about the quality of what I'm making.

Still, even with the low end of the fast food spectrum removed from my diet altogether, I fear the food that I'm getting might make me sick; even the food from stores sometimes. People aren't happy with their jobs lately; if they aren't happy, they aren't going to care as much if they're getting a little sick or clean the machinery that makes the food. That ends up going to the masses, and its how modern day outbreaks can happen, easily.

What if some new virus comes about locally, and I catch it because my fat ass couldn't wait home and had to have that fast food burger? Someone sneezed on the grill and I became the first fatality of this new virus. I don't want to be some fancy statistic. Do you wonder who the first person to die of Polio was more, or who the first person to use/invent the wheel? I wanna be the wheel guy.

Maybe I should grow my own food.
...Do I trust the content of the soil, water, and the quality of the seeds, though?
Seems like there's no "bomb shelter" when it comes to food.
Steve
Steve

http://futurespassed.com/

Back to top Go down

Food & Eating Empty Re: Food & Eating

Post  Peewee Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:24 pm

I do worry about the content in the food from restaurants and from stores. When I read about an E. Coli break-out from a vegetable or salmonella from beef I try to avoid those foods until they're safe to eat again. But there are times when the food is distributed everywhere and people are eating it until the FDA realizes the food is not safe and then they get sick from it. I shouldn't worry about the food I eat unless I think about the possibly of getting sick. I just stress myself thinking about that piece of food I just ate that could have a strain of salmonella.

Growing your own food is a better alternative because you'll know what you put in the soil, and know you didn't spray it with pesticides. The seeds just had some hormonal growth added to them to make them bigger and have tougher skin to prevent insects eating it.
Peewee
Peewee
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/user/peeweesarno

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:48 pm

Peewee wrote:When I read about an E. Coli break-out from a vegetable or salmonella from beef I try to avoid those foods until they're safe to eat again.
At least one poor sap had to find out the hard way... I don't like the taste of a lot of the vegetables prone to that sort of thing, luckily.

Peewee wrote:Growing your own food is a better alternative because you'll know what you put in the soil, and know you didn't spray it with pesticides. The seeds just had some hormonal growth added to them to make them bigger and have tougher skin to prevent insects eating it.
I don't know what is in my soil, and if I buy a bag of fancy dirt, I don't know what's in there, either (why are there bits of Styrofoam in there, anyway?). Plus, all that grows around here is orange trees and strawberries. Sunflowers struggle to grow here in their early stages.
I should have paid more attention during agriculture in 6th grade.
Steve
Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  TurkeyBeef Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:02 pm

Oh Christ, I can't stand to eat eat red meat anymore. I'm still worried about gaining a mutated protein from a hamburger or something. There's really no way to prevent that sort of thing from happening, since the protein can be sporadic in any animal, and that still gives us a good chance of consuming the infected meat. Then if someone else bothers to eat our brains, they will also catch it... or if I was lactating, I could immediately infect the baby.

That shit is highly contagious for something that's not even bacteria or a virus. So basically I can't raise my own cows or pigs because of their proteins can be malformed at any time.
TurkeyBeef
TurkeyBeef
Admin

Back to top Go down

Food & Eating Empty Frog In A Pepsi

Post  Steve Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:21 am

YouChew provides an excellent example of finding unwanted things in your food:
Frog In A Can Of Pepsi.
Good thing I drink Coke, I guess...
Steve
Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  TurkeyBeef Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:22 am

Actually, ingesting a frog wouldn't be a big deal to me, since people eat frogs. Unless its body was rotting in there, then that would be a problem.
TurkeyBeef
TurkeyBeef
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:38 pm

It actually happened. I got a few candy bars today. One of them I opened up, and it looked kinda weird. I opened it up more, and there's what looks like cobwebs in it. I open it up all the way and there was a freakin' maggot/worm thing in it. I probably won't be eating any Reese's whips for a long, long time.
Steve
Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum